Welcome back to my blog. We were out of town for a few days for a really great meeting. If you ever see the book America in Crimson Red, by James Beller, pick it up! And read it! I guarantee you will learn something about the history of our nation that you did not know before. James Beller was one of the main speakers at this meeting, and the other was Dr. Ben Townsend, who is the director of the Ecclesiastical Law Center. Occasionally you meet someone who has so MUCH to give that you wish they would live on this earth forevermore to steer this generation of Americans, and all the future ones, too! Both of these men are that sort. What a great time we had. All except the food poisoning! We survived a verrry long drive home, with many bathroom stops and even one stop behind a bush, but we are all still very glad we went. It was sooo worth it.
I have been collecting starred items in my reader. Lacking any mental presence at the moment, which condition is preventing me from writing my own interesting post, I will just share them with you. Enjoy!
- Sherry at Large Family Mothering, on Delayed Learning and the Well-Educated Child. "More schooling does not produce people that can think; it produces people that are more easily led." This is a very good read. Early childhood education is not what it's cracked up to be. If you are feeling pressured to keep your little ones abreast of your neighbors' and extended family members' children academically, read this and relax.
- The Art of Manliness, on Lesson on Manliness From Atticus Finch. Remember him? He was the protagonist of To Kill a Mockingbird, required reading in my eighth grade English class. Atticus said, "...before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” I am not recommending this book to any of my girls yet, but as fiction goes, it is a good story and is filled with great life lessons.
- Ask Auntie Leila: 10 Rules for Mothering a 13 Year Old Boy. I don't have any boys, but if I did, I'd keep this handy.
- Posted on the IFB/KJV blog site, Stuff Christians Need to Stop Doing. Encouraging words!
- Are you a mom who needs a bit of courage? Read this: Courageous Mothers Who Cared for Their Families, by Mrs. June Fuentes.
Now I'll have to go back and read my own recommendations more closely... but where is the time??