Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Kettle Corn Perfected


So I'm back already. Despite the fact that no one reads my blog any more (because I don't post anything), I must post this recipe for kettle corn. Some day when I am dead and gone one of my adult kids is going to say, "Remember that kettle corn our dear, precious Mom used to make? That was soooo good. I wonder how she made it?" and her sister is going to say, "I don't know, but it's probably on her blog." So here it is.  

One of our homeschool co-op kids, Bailey, brings homemade kettle corn to sell, and it is reeeally good. I was not successful at getting the recipe from her (I wouldn't give it away, either, if I were trying to make money off it), so I started experimenting. I went to Google and looked for a best-ever recipe, and here's what I came up with:

1/4 C coconut oil
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C popcorn
salt to taste

And that is good. Really good. But it's not Bailey's. The finished product has crunchy pieces of sugar in it. Bailey's kettle corn doesn't. Hers is perfectly smooth, and uniformly but subtly sweet, and absolutely, deliciously DELICIOUS. 

So I changed the Googled "best-ever" recipe up a bit:

1/4 C coconut oil
1/3 C powdered sugar
1/2 C popcorn
salt to taste

Ah, perfection!

Here's how:

Use a large saucepan with a lid. Revereware is great. I don't have that, so I pulled out the heaviest-bottomed pan I own, other than the cast-iron skillet. Put the coconut oil in the pan over medium heat, along with 3 kernels of popcorn, and put the lid on. When the third kernel pops, add the rest of the kernels plus the powdered sugar. Stir it up quick, and put the lid back on. Alternate shaking the pan above the burner with letting it sit on the burner for about 3 seconds at a time. Keep this muscle action up for the next five minutes or so, or until you don't hear so much popping. Sugar burns quickly, so you have to keep it moving, and I stop before the last kernels are done. Pour magically transformed popcorn into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt to you liking, and enjoy. Get your share before the family comes running, or you might not get any at all. You night have to make a second batch so your husband can take some in his lunch the next day when he goes to work, like I did.

I think Bailey does have one secret, though. I won't give that away here. Don't want to make competition for her!

*   *   *

About the coconut oil. I used the regular, cold-pressed, unrefined stuff. This doesn't handle heat as well as the refined oil, so I kept the heat at medium. If you use refined coconut oil you can turn the heat up to med-high.  And either way, the finished kettle corn does not taste like coconut.

*   *   *

Maybe they can even make this in Russia. Camille? (One of my very few faithful readers, I see you out there. ♥ Love to your family!)
*   *   *

Wasn't God wonderful to give us stuff like coconut and corn and salt? And even some sweet stuff? And to give men the brains and creativity to figure out what to do with it? God's amazing. (But of course he is.)

6 comments:

  1. So nice to see another posting! Yes, I still faithfully check your blog! I am going to try this. I believe I can get coconut oil here as they have a large supply of oils. It looks delicious and we love popcorn ( well Brian not as much). Thanks for the recipe! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went looking for coconut oil today. Have not found it yet :( Maybe I can use a different type of oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camille! I knew you'd be here. ♥ You can try corn oil. It makes great popcorn anyway. It won't be quite the same, as coconut oil is much lighter. I think I would use less, 2-3T?
      What? No Walmart?? :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will see if we can get that here. No Walmarts :( but cannot complain we have some really good grocery stores here. Can get most things! We have a store called Metro which is a lot like Sams Club or Costco. Will look there too! I so much want to make this. Will search and search!

      Delete
  3. I check you blog every once in a while and I'm glad I found this today. My grandkids like kettle corn so this will be fun. Glad you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love popcorn in coconut oil. I may have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...